Apr 7, 2009

Wipe Method | Cut-in Ceiling Lines

Cut Ceiling Here is another short painting video using the pre-cut method cutting-in a ceiling line. Often regardless of the paint used — I will make two passes on a ceiling line when cutting-in and a final feathering-off pass. This allows me to move a large amount of paint across a 6 or 7’ span during the 1st pass and realign the brush for the second pass. This is the method I use to cut 11 to 14’ per minute although I do it with a 7/8” x 3” flat brush.

I will discuss the mechanics behind the precut method in more detail in the weeks ahead because there is so much more happening in this video that meets the eye. Also, I will show an alternative two pass method for cutting-in ceiling lines that’s more efficient than the one in the painting video below.

Note: The angle of the video camera somewhat makes the width of cut look less than it was.

 

Heavy Brush Load In this short video I show what my brush often looks like when cutting-in and painting pretty much anything.

I load the inside of the brush with the amount of paint I need and wipe most of the paint off the outer portion of the brush because I only paint with the bottom edge of the brush, not the side of it and I do not want any paint on the side of my brush interfering with a clean cut.





3 comments:

gadgetpig said...

Jack thanks for the cutting in ceiling video, I've been waiting to see your ceiling technique. I just had some questions:

a.) on the last stroke going the opposite way, did you hold the brush horizontally sideways (like your first ceiling cuts), or did you hold it vertically?

b.) on the last stroke going the opposite way, do you still go tight on the ceiling line or do you give a slight 1/8" margin off the ceiling line?

c.) out of curiosity, which brand brush did you use for the video?

thanks in advance

GadgetPig

Jack said...

A & B
It's vertical. Not same as first and second pass. The brush is positioned with the flat edge against the wall for feathering-off the previous cut in a dry-brush motion. It's a secondary action with a specific purpose to feather-off and its kept fairly tight to the ceiling but the important part is the lower 3” of the cut.

I used the Benjamin Moore 651-25 angular for the video. There is a review of the brush here on the blog.

Charlotte painting by Bestcharlottepainters.com said...

Great videos and painting tips.