Apr 1, 2009

Complete Guide to Paint Brushes - Delayed

This is just a quick post to mention the scheduled Complete Guide To Paint Brushes project expected to start today is delayed until the 15th due to a number of unforeseen circumstances.

I probably could launch it today but it wouldn’t be at the standard I wanted to achieve. I’d rather launch it late, my apologies. Starting April 15th I will publish at least one article of a series on brushes each day for 15 days.

A few people wrote asking about one of the videos on cutting inside corners and the initial dab or placement of paint I put in the corner before I cut a corner. I must say, you guys have a keen eye! Good catch!

When I approach coming out of an inside corner like the photo above I almost always place a preset amount of paint in the upper corner before I make my cut based on how far I want to cut. This is part of a load balancing strategy I use to carry to the wall a predetermined amount of paint  an area will need, in this case the same cutting distance you see cut on the left wall in upper photo. At this point in the photo above the tightest portion of the corner is already cut. The dab of paint indicated by the blue arrow is for coming out of the corner and nothing more.

The goal here on the ceiling is to achieve maximum length-of-run to minimize loading time on and off a step ladder. I carry the amount of paint the corner will need but I don't need all of the paint immediately at the ceiling line so I place it there until I need to use it. In this case, the dab of paint is used for the final pass down the corner of the wall. Based on the painters I’ve studied cutting, we all tend to have some consistent styles of cut that we do repeatedly and instinctively. It’s always interesting to watch other painters cutting styles and habits.

No comments: