Jan 22, 2009

Zinsser GARDZ Problem Surface Sealer

Zinsser GARDZ

Gardz is a unique clear water-base sealer for porous and potential problem surfaces. It is formulated to deeply penetrate and dry to a hard, moisture resistant film that seals and binds down porous, chalky and crumbling surfaces, paints and texture finishes. GARDZ is recommended for: damaged drywall, new drywall, spackling and joint compound skim coats, plaster, calcimine, uncoated wallpaper, wallcovering adhesive residue, texture paint, popcorn ceilings and builder's flat paint.

Mainstream wall primers often fail to penetrate the surface of the drywall. GARDZ does an excellent job of locking down the surface to provide a foundation where adhesion and uniformity are critical components to a top coat of paint. What GARDZ lacks is pigment, the product is clear and serves its purpose in the world by solely securing the groundwork for professional finishes.

GARDZ is an absolute MUST for new bare drywall when applying a non-flat paint where sheen level and adhesion is important such as an eggshell or semi-gloss finish. GARDZ is also beneficial at penetrating contractor grade flat paints that were applied directly over bare drywall and providing additional adhesion to the drywall.

NOTES on APPLICATION: There is a slight learning curve to rolling GARDZ and I recommend roller placement to be just under center of the wall with the first stroke in an upward motion using light pressure. The next time you have drywall patches to prime, use GARDZ as it will give you the best results with non-flat top coat paints preventing you from having to recoat wall patches twice ultimately saving you time. I enjoyed

Be sure to read Drywall primers… again! for an overview of how beneficial GARDZ is.

 RECOMMENDED

14 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi there, I used your advice and bought Gardz problem surface from Sherwin Williams. The walls I'm priming are bare drywall. I asked if I could tint it, and the SW people said uncertainly, "Sure, it doesn't say not to" on the label." So they tinted it for me, and now that I read on the internet to not tint Gardz, do you think I should take it back and insist on regular Gardz? I think the SW people should have known better.

Jack Pauhl said...

I’m sorry to hear about your experience with Sherwin Williams, you would think things like that wouldn’t happen. I hope they made it right for you.

Andrew said...

I've lots of painting the past few years. I'm a DIYer and made a lot of learning mistakes, it was a process, but I think I know a lot now. The most important lesson I've learned is to use GARDZ on joint compound.

Jack Pauhl - I appreciate your suggestion to just skip the primer. I never thought of that. But its a great idea Really, you just need to seal the substrate, then color/sheen it. Primer is trade-off on both achieving worse sealing than GARDZ and worse pigmetation coverage than paint.

Stefanie said...

HELP! We just purchased our first home and it is completely covered in wallpaper. We have the first floor stripped of paper and unfortunately will need to skim coat to repair damage to the walls. Our problem is we cannot get the wallpaper paste off the walls. We have tried baking a, fabric softner, DIF, vinegar, and have wiped and scrubbed our hands raw. If the walls still look a little streaky or sticky can I prime over them using the Gardz problem surface...then skim coat over that, then prime and paint my color???

Jack Pauhl said...

Stephanie, use Krud Kutter solution mixed with water in a pump up sprayer and apply to the glue. Depending on the glue you might need a combination of 3 or 4" scraper and sponge to remove the glue. Get as much off as you can before you use Gardz. Be sure surface is dry before applying Gardz.

Surfer said...

I'm wondering why you say to use this under NON-flat paints. I'm not sure I will be using an eggshell and maybe will go flat. Can I NOT use this under a flat paint? It will make it shine? Or some other issue?

Thanks for your information.

I and M Champagne said...

Can Gardz be used in a high moisture
area (bathroom)? I'm having some
paint peeling problems in a bathroom
that appears to be poorly primed.
If the Gardz acts like a sealer,
will I get water beading problems
if I use it in a bathroom where there
is high humidity due to shower usage?

Sarah Grady said...

Is Gardz Problem Surface Sealer the same as Gardz damaged drywall sealer? I'm having trouble finding it in my area.
Thanks!

Jack Pauhl said...

Sarah, Yes they are the same. Old label/new label.

Craig Zabell said...

From your info and other Internet searches I have decided to use Gardz to prep the walls in a room where I recently removed wallpaper. What I can't seem to find anywhere is info on how much Gardz I would need for a given square footage. Is 1 gallon enough for 400 sq ft of wall space?

Also, should I repair any existing dings with joint compound / spackle and sand the wall before applying the Gardz, after or both?

Craig Zabell said...

How much Gardz do you need to do 400 sq ft of wall space in a room where u removed wallpaper before then doing a coat of primer then a coat of paint?

Joe Weaver said...

When should Problem Surface Sealer be applied to a wall that has some glue residue and areas of old cracking skim coat - before or after patching these areas with joint compound?

Brian Havanas said...

Joe, apply it before patching, then again after the patches.

CCU RN said...

I applied Gardz on my walls and then skim coated areas that needed smoothing out. Do I need to apply another coat of Gardz after skimming or can I just prime and then paint the walls?