Oct 22, 2007

HVLP Transfer Efficiency

spray spindles There is no argument that an HVLP [High Volume Low Pressure] Sprayer pulls its own weight. I recall the first day, first job I used my first HVLP unit. I had a stained trim house all prepared on the drying racks and all I had to do was shoot some sanding sealer on the trim. I suppose two guys brushing the trim for an hour and a half isn’t bad but the HVLP did the whole trim package in under 30 mins., nice. Needless to say, the HVLP paid for itself time and time again.

Besides its time saving abilities, the HVLP when dialed in properly will save on materials too. Take notice in the photo of the spindles above, that is the extent of the overspray. I shot 2 coats of Zinsser Odorless Oil primer on those bare poplar spindles before carpet and shot the oil finish after carpet. The photo shows the accuracy and transfer efficiency is incredible.

See also: Cleaning your HVLP

2 comments:

Xiz said...

What a great post about a great piece of equipment! I recently bought an HVLP spraygun and started tinkering with it in a bathroom I was painting for a client. There were almost no instructions with the unit, so I had to do some internet reading and play with it.

I painted an entire bathroom (10x8) with just over a quart of paint! I had so little overspray, that you might as well say I had none. I cut around the medicine cabinet, the sink, the toilet, the shower, and some tile board without a bit of problem.

You can dial that spray pattern down to the size of a dime on my cheap Kobalt (Lowe's) unit! I use my air compressor, dialed down to 30psi. I just read over the weekend that I should use 10-15psi. I'm going to try that this week.

Keep 'em coming about this great new gadget!

JDMcCann said...

Any tips/advice you can give me regarding HVLP?
I've recently purchased a cheap DIY unit (Earlex HV1900) to try it out for the first time. I had some ornate cornice to paint which would have taken forever to paint with a brush and for this task the little HVLP I'd purchased was brilliant. Zipped round the room in minutes.

I'd like now to try the HVLP on woodwork as I could see it would be a great time saver. Especially on stair spindles (I think you say balusters in the US???). In my profession we will be workig on residential properties with carpets fitted etc hence my interest in the HVLP. I do have some concerns however.

I recently sprayed some new walls for a friend. Merely to try out the HVLP and he was happy as he got his wals painted. I did get a slight mottled effect. The finish was still superior to a roller though. I know I have a cheap, mickey mouse, system and with a 2mm needle (does this make a difference??? I think so from my brief research on the net).

I'd love to achieve that automotive finish. Is this possible with HVLP??? (I'm worried about the orange peel mottled effect). And with thinning glosses down I'm worried about losing the high sheen.

From your blog I see this finish is possible with airless (something I'd love to try but not realistic in my job - overspray!!!).

After Christmas and my New Years trip to Vegas :) I'm going to be attending an ICI training course on both airless and HVLP spraying as well as looking to invest in a more serious HVLP. But I'd appreciate any pointers as to whether my desired finish is possible with HVLP before I invest in some more serious kit, and which kit I should be looking for.

Keep up the good work!!!

Many Thanks
James McCann