Oct 5, 2007

About Wall Primers II

Two years in the making.

It’s not likely many painters can talk about wall primers like I can.

My current issue with trying to get a nice eggshell finish over new drywall put me on a path learning everything there is to know about the capabilities of primers and there are more issues with using a primer vs. not.

What are wall primers capable of on new drywall?

Nothing if you ask me unless you apply primer with an airless about 20 mil thick, then maybe you might have something but not always. Primers are typically no different than another coat of paint and in most cases I’ve seen, paint provides a better bond to new drywall. WOW! That sort of changes everything you’ve been told about always use a primer huh? Well, that’s no BS!

Of the 12 primers (number keeps growing) I spent countless hours testing (literally hundreds of hours) over the past two years, there’s only one I feel provides the best results for paints where sheen is important. ICI Gripper does not dry flat and its absorption into new drywall is minimal.

Primers are often thought of as a miracle product. Paint reps tend to think of primer as a foundation to a successful paint finish. Yeah well, let me tell you - that is a bunch of BS! Paint reps tell you they provide a better bond, they minimize porosity in drywall etc. A paint rep once told me that primer will stop nailpops. Wow that's amazing!

Do you know what wall primer in fact does?
 
Primer wastes your time and your money AND some primers will add more work to your project or even worse, cause unforeseen new problems.
 
For example, loss of sheen and poor adhesion. Did you know that of all 12 primers, only ICI Gripper prevented sheen level degradation. Other primers require 3 top coats to achieve full sheen. Most primers will absorb sheen like crazy even the ones that advertise "HOLDS GLOSS"... my ass it holds gloss. Seriously, who is testing these products? (cough) BS!

Some of my worst issues with painting in my 30 years experience were related to failure of primer but not only with bare drywall. I am uncertain if the primer itself is failing or the primer is failing to do what it’s advertised to do. I don’t care either way.
 
The bottom line is, wall primer is useless on bare drywall.

Some of my readers may be aware of the tread on a certain message board. The answer is this: The paint I talked about ICI 1410 sticks better to new drywall and taped drywall joints than any of the 12 primers I tested. You can apply a piece of masking tape to new drywall primed with your favorite primer and pull the tape and primer and paint off the wall. And please save me the "you didn't prep it right" BS.

UPDATE: The fix for the issue mentioned above was resolved using a drywall sealer and can be found here. How to prepare new drywall

1 comment:

William said...

I suggest you try Behr Enamel Undercoater Interior Primer Sealer. It's an excellent primer sealer that acts like two sided sticky tape. It sticks to the wall and the paint sticks to the primer. It's pigment is ground down extra fine(which takes time and money). This acts as a leveler and makes your topcoat lay down like glass. And also guarantees accurate sheen levels. Unlike fast drying primers, that have big pigment to dry faster, which knocks one or two sheen levels off your finish. Not priming drywall will cause flashing and have a negative effect on the final finish of your topcoat. PVA drywall sealer is a joke and does not even do the one job that it's supposed to, SEAL THE DRYWALL! Roll PVA primer on a piece of drywall, let it dry and then spray some water out of a spray bottle onto it. The water will soak right in. Just like your PAINT will. Absolutely useless. Use 100 percent Acrylic Latex primer to seal the walls.